- Rice flour or Puttu podi: 2 cups
- Salt: as required
- Luke warm water or normal water : 1/2 to 1 cup
- Grated coconut: 1/2 cup
- Add enough salt to water and make the solution ready.
- Fill the cooker or ‘puttukutti or puttumaker’ with enough water.
- Take the rice flour in a bowl, sprinkle the salt water solution little by little until it gets wet.
- To make it more soft, add a handful of grated coconut to it.
- Mix it well with hand by breaking the lumps formed. An easy way to get rid of much lumps is to grind the wet flour for a minute in a mixer or food processor. Keep it aside for a few minutes.
- Put 2 0r 3 tsp of grated coconut in puttumaker, then add the wet flour mix till half. Again add grated coconut, followed by wet mix till the top.
- Close the lid, place it on the top of cooker or puttumaker and steam it for 5-8 minutes.
Have it with banana, egg curry or kadala curry. Another combination of this puttu is with Kerala style spicy fish curry, which we love it. 😉