- Idli: 4-5 (left over idlies are preferred)
- Onion: 1 (big)
- Ginger:1 inch piece
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Grated coconut (optional): 1/2 cup
- Urad Dal: 1/4-1/2 tsp
- Green chilly: 1 medium
- Curry leaves
- Mustard seeds
- Crumble the idles coarsely with hand and keep it aside.
- Chop onion into fine pieces.
- Cut the ginger and green chilly into small thin pieces.
- Wash and clean urad dal, set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Add chopped ginger and green chilly pieces. Saute well.
- Add chopped onion and sprinkle a little salt.
- When it turns slight brown, add grated coconut and turmeric powder.Stir well.
- Add crumbled idli and mix well. Sprinkle a little water to make it soft.
- Check for salt and remove from fire.
- Serve it with coconut chutney or urad chutney!!