- Chana Dal: 1/2 cup
- Jaggery (scraped):1/2 - 3/4 cup (depends on the sweetness of jaggery and your taste)
- Coconut milk (Semi thick): 1/4 cup
- Coconut milk (Thick): 1/2 cup
- Coconut cuts: 1tbsp
- Dry ginger powder (chukku podi): a pinch
- Ghee: 2 tsp
- Cashew nuts and Raisins: 8-10 nos
— Heat ghee in a pan, add cashews and fry for a few minutes until it turns light brown, keep aside.
— To the same ghee fry raisins and keep aside.
— Fry coconut cuts till it turns light brown colour and set aside.
— Roast the channa dal in the same ghee or dry roast it (without ghee) for a few minutes.
1. Pressure cook the roasted channa dal with water for 3-4 whistles.
2. Dissolve jaggery in 1/4 cup of water and filer it. Make sure that the syrup is not so liquid.
3. When the pressure releases, open the cooker and mash the dal with flat bottomed spoon.
4. Heat the melted jaggery and add the mashed dal to it, mix well.
5. Cook for a few minutes.
6. Lower the heat and add semi-thick coconut oil, stirring continuously.
7. When it starts to boil add the thick coconut milk and cook for a few minutes.
8. Switch it off and add dry ginger powder, mix well.
9. Garnish it with fried cashews, raisins and coconut cuts.
— You can also add a little fried sesame seeds along with cashews and raisins.
— Do take care after adding coconut milk. Don’t boil it for long.
— Try to stir continuously 😉