- Netholi fish: 400g
- Grated coconut: 1 cup
- Shallots: 6-7 Nos.
- Ginger (chopped): 1 tbsp
- Raw mango (sliced): half a cup (depends on the sour)
- Green chilly: 3-4 nos.
- Curry leaves
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Dried chilly: 1
- Mustard seeds
- Wash and clean the fish and keep it aside.
- Chop the shallots, ginger, green chilly and raw mango.
- Make a coarse paste by mixing grated coconut, 4-5 shallots, ginger, green chilly, a handful of raw mango and 2-3 curry leaves. Transfer this into a bowl and mix well with hand.
- Heat oil in a pan, preferably meen chatty (earthern pot). Add mustard seeds.
- When it pops up, add remaining chopped shallots, dried chilly and curry leaves.
- Add the ground mix and saute well.
- Add the fish pieces and mix well.
- Add the rest of mango pieces, curry leaves and enough water to cook the fish pieces.
- Cover it with a lid and cook for 5-7 minutes. Don’t forget to stir in between.
- Remove the lid and allow the water content to evaporate completely.
- Remove it from flame. Serve hot!!!
- Instead of raw mango pieces, you could use tamarind extract or kudampuli or kokum. No need to ground it in this case.
- You could use small sardines or tuna fish or small prawns instead of Anchovy.
- Will get the same taste by pouring the seasoning over the cooked fish mix instead of adding ground paste.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]Netholi (Meen Peera) / Anchovy Thoran ,