- Fish: 300 gm
- Small onion (shallots): 10 - 12 no
- Garlic cloves: 5 nos
- Tomato: 2
- Tamarind: 1 lemon size piece
- Grated coconut: 2 table spoon
- Curry leaves: as required
- Turmeric power: 1/4 tsp
- Chilly powder: 1 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp
- Mustard seed: as required
- Fennel seed: 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil: as required
- Clean the fish and keep it aside
- Soak tamarind in warm water and squeeze the pulp.
- Make fine paste from the grated coconut.
- Chop the onion and cut tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Splutter mustard seeds.
- Add fennel seeds followed by chopped onion and whole garlic.
- When onion turns soft, add curry leaves and chopped tomatoes.
- Fry it for 5 minutes, or until it become like a paste.
- Lower the flame add turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder, and tamarind pulp.
- Add one cup of water and salt to taste.
- Once the curry starts boiling add coconut paste and mix well and add the fish pieces. Check salt before you add the fish piece.
- Cook in low flame for about 5-10 minutes or until the gravy become thick and fish is cooked.
Server hot with rice.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]Tamilnadu style fish curry / Meen Kulambu,