- Basmati Rice: 1 cup
- Tomato: 4 nos
- Onion: 1 big
- Green chilly: 1 or 2
- Garlic: 2 small pods
- Whole Spices: (Grambu:4, Pepper cons: 4, Elakka: 4, Bay leaf: 1, Cinnamon stick: 1 small, Cumin+Fennel seeds: 1-2 pinch)
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
- Chilly powder: 1/2 - 3/4 tsp
- Coriander powder (optional): 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala: 1/4 tsp (if required)
- Salt: to taste
- Oil/Ghee: (We used 2 Tbsp oil and 1 tsp ghee)
- Mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
- Coriander leaves
1. Wash and soak rice for 5 minutes. Cook rice with little salt and 2 cups of water.
2. Transfer and spread it on a plate.
3. Cut onion and garlic into thin pieces.
4. Chop tomato and green chilly to small pieces.
5. Keep all other ingredients ready.
- Heat oil and ghee together in a cooking pan.
- Crackle mustard seeds, add the whole spices.
- Add sliced onions, when it becomes translucent add garlic, curry leaves and green chilly, Sauté well, add salt in between.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook well till they turn mushy.
- Once tomato juice completely evaporated and the oil becomes separated, reduce the flame and add turmeric powder followed by chilly powder and coriander powder, if needed.
- Add cooked rice and gently mix to spread the masala onto the rice until moisture is completely absorbed.
- If necessary, add garam masala if whole spices are not enough.
- Switch off the flame, mix with chopped coriander leaves.
- Enjoy it with Raita and boiled egg if you like it 🙂
You will love it for sure!!!
Courtesy: S and R Family