Butter chicken ( Murgh Makhani ), is one of the most delicious versions of chicken curries. The texture and smell make it tempting. You could either grill the chicken or shallow fry in a pan, both ways a little browned chicken give extra flavour and taste. Cumin and garam masala are the tastemakers here. A guaranteed dish and hard to make mistakes. You could use chicken with bones or boneless; I feel it tastier with bones.
- To Marinate
Yoghurt 3/4 cup
Garlic paste 1 1/2 tbsp
Ginger paste 1tbsp
Garam masala powder 1tsp
Turmeric powder 1tsp
Cumin powder 1tsp
Kashmiri Redchilly powder 1tbsp
Salt 1 tsp
- On the fire
Oil (Olive/Sunflower/Coconut) 1Tbsp + 2 Tbsp for frying the chicken + 1 Tbsp for the puree
Butter 2Tbsp (more the butter, more the taste)
Sliced onion 1cup
Garlic paste 1 tbsp
Ginger paste 1 tbsp
Coriander powder 1tsp
Cumin powder 1 1/2 tsp
Garam masala 1tsp
Chopped tomato 1 1/2 cup
Chilly powder 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Kasuri methi – 1 tbsp (crushed)
Cooking cream – 1/2 cup
- Marinate the chicken cubes with yoghurt (3/4 cup), garlic paste (1 1/2tbsp), ginger paste ( 1 tbsp ), ginger paste ( 1 tbsp ), turmeric powder ( 1 tsp ), cumin ( 1 tsp ), Kashmiri red chilly ( 1 tbsp ), Salt ( 1 tsp ). Keep it marinated at least for 1 hour.
- Shallow fry or grill the chicken in 2 tbsp of oil. You could fry in butter, become more delicious
For the grill, 180C for 15 minutes on each side (30 minutes in total)
- To prepare the puree, Add 1 cup sliced onion, 1 tbsp of garlic paste and 1 tbsp of ginger paste. Once the onion becomes translucent, add 1 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes.
- When tomatoes become soft, add 1tsp coriander powder, 1 1/2 tsp cumin powder and 1 tsp garam masala, 1tsp chilly powder, 1 tsp salt and mix well.
- Once the raw smell disappeared, turn off the heat and let the mixture to cool down.
- Once it is cooled, make a paste in blender 3 tbsp of water.
- Butter chicken in make
- Heat 2tbsp of butter in a pan, pour the puree.
Add 1 cup of water, add more water if you need more curry sauce.
Once the puree started to bubble, add the grilled / fried chicken
- After 5 minutes, add crushed Kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) and 1/2 cup of cooking cream. I tried with fresh cream as well, and it turned out good.
- Mix well, when the curry becomes thick, turn off the heat. Enjoy with jeera/basmati rice or naan/roti/chapati